Seeking reassurance this isn't subsidence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

We bought a flat and the lender did a physical survey and approved with no problems. The area we have bought in seems to have a general moderate to high risk of subsidence, I've noticed the extension has several cracks in the plaster work, hoping it's not a major issue, particularly as the insurance seems to cover subsidence work in any case. Wondered if anyone who knew more about subsidence could advise, we are on the basement level but it is more like ground.

Read online that it could be superficial and people seem to think it's just failed render as the cracks do not follow the bricks.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It's not indicative of foundation movement, but that's not to say that is not related to structural cracking if the wall.

Thanks, is subsidence only when the foundations move then? If it is structural cracking what are our options? This is an extension so could it be settlement cracks on the plaster and nothing more sinister?

We got a massive mortgage on this flat and the in person surveyor that the bank appointed never mentioned any issues.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's share of freehold and we own the flat so no landlord. I'm hoping there is no need to even claim on insurance as a lot of people I've spoken to suggest this is just plaster cracking due to settlement and temperature changes. I'll get my builder to assess

The render needs to come off to see what's going on behind. It may be something to do with that parapet and water getting behind the render. There does not like like there is a very good or any drip on those coping stones.

Thanks, I'll look into it. Not sure if relevant but on the other side of the wall is the extractor fan and hobs and that's where the majority of cracks are. Not sure if that indicates more temperature issue than subsidence

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back