Intelligent Speed Assistance

Roads with national speed limits often have no speed signs.
GPS speeds are often incorrect , my local dual carriageway ( 70mph) shows as 50mph for around 5miles.
Local country road has a 20mph speed limit over a bridge (nsl 60mph)
But not shown on gps while same road in opposite direction incorrectly shows 20mph for entire road ( around 1 1/2 miles)

In the main, mine is accurate.
There will always be exceptions.
Any system should be set up to be, on the whole, accurate and effective.
"Should" being the operative word.............................

Sponsored Links
My plan is to drive my 2015 VW Passat diesel into the ground, then buy the newest petrol or diesel that's available and do the same again...

I've never been one for changing car every few years anyway!
Exactly my plan. I'm running a 2008 diesel. As and when it gives up, I'll buy a newer (but not new) car, ideally one that doesn't have this tech installed. I'll then run that for as long as possible, minimum a decade.

One thing that might force our hands is if there's a gradual decrease in petrol/diesel stations in favour of EV.

I suppose much of it will come down to government strategy and how strongly it's enforced and/or adhered to by them.

My plan is to drive my 2015 VW Passat diesel into the ground, then buy the newest petrol or diesel that's available and do the same again...

I've never been one for changing car every few years anyway!

Same here. Got a 20 year old Fiat Scudo van that I maintain properly so it keeps going. It's got the old 2.0 HDI engine with only 108K on it, so good for another 20 years - unfortunately I don't think the bodywork will go the distance. Had it since it was 2.5 years old, so yes, I really hang onto my wheels. I put it through it's first MOT, and it's never failed an MOT - just the odd advisory. Also never broken down either - but the thing will probably go and prove me wrong now I've tempted fate. :rolleyes:

I hate changing cars and the whole tyre-kicking process to go through to find another. Would rather put the effort into maintainging what I've got. Any vehicle that I have as daily driver stays with me until it's off to the crusher. Only car I sold in recent years was my very tidy, low miles 86D old shape Carlton that has gone onto a better life with an enthusiast who lives in Stoke. It was sitting in storage unused for a few years and I didn't have the time to give it the love it deserved.

Last edited:
Imagine you are on a motorway on the inside lane in a 40 or 50mph temporary limit road and the lorry in the middle lane puts his indicator on and next to you to show he wants the exit. You have one less tool at your disposal to avoid being crushed, one less way to easily create space for him and one less way to get out his blind spot

Even though the technology can be disabled, it's not going to be a thing that comes top of mind unless say it can be disabled intelligently.

Not to mention that sometimes speed limit signs get hit and turned around, so you could find it suddenly wants to enforce a side road speed limit.

I don't buy in to the accident reduction claims. I suspect after a while we would see compensatory behaviour as with most safety tech.

I was test driving the new Model 3 Tesla which has sonar car parking sensors/scanners which create a 3d radar like image. Yet still two of the test fleet had rear end damage which looks to have been caused by reversing into something.
I've not read enough into it, I wonder if it'll have a quick override e.g. floor the accelerator. The danger there is the vehicle then accelerating more than you want it to.

Said it before, I'm so pleased the bulk of my driving has been in times when we can drive where we want at the (safe) speed we want without intervention from tech. The sad thing is when I retire and actually have time to go here and there, such freedoms will no doubt be further restricted.

Sponsored Links
Same here. Got a 20 year old Fiat Scudo van that I maintain properly so it keeps going. It's got the old 2.0 HDI engine with only 108K on it, so good for another 20 years - unfortunately I don't think the bodywork will go the distance. Had it since it was 2.5 years old, so yes, I really hang onto my wheels. I put it through it's first MOT, and it's never failed an MOT - just the odd advisory.

I hate changing cars and the whole tyre-kicking process to go through to find another. Would rather put the effort into maintainging what I've got. Any vehicle that I have as daily driver stay with me until it's off to the crusher. Only car I sold in recent years was my 86D old shape Carlton that has gone onto a better life with an enthusiast who lives in Stoke. It was sitting in the garage unused for a few years and I didn't have the time to give it the love it deserved.
Maybe an age/generation thing, however new cars appeal to me less and less. Needless tech, bland design, lack of actual buttons/dials/knobs (although I think some manufacturers are pulling back on some of that) becoming ever more like mobile devices.

Cabin mood lights that can be changed?!? Feck right off!!!

Maybe an age/generation thing, however new cars appeal to me less and less. Needless tech, bland design, lack of actual buttons/dials/knobs (although I think some manufacturers are pulling back on some of that) becoming ever more like mobile devices.

Cabin mood lights that can be changed?!? Feck right off!!!

Yes, same here. Way too much completely unnecessary tech in anything these days, whether a TV or car. More to go wrong. Like the fact that my van has no ABS, airbags, traction control. How many times do these things go wrong and throw up lights on dash? Only luxuries are ac and leccy windows/mirrors. Oh, and a wireless. Keep it simple!

Maybe an age/generation thing, however new cars appeal to me less and less.

My Mum buys various newspapers and I used to like reading the motoring sections in them. Don't bother any more because it's new EV this blah, blah, blah - new EV that blah, blah, blah. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

About as interesting as reading about new dishwashers. :giggle:

Last edited:
I've not read enough into it, I wonder if it'll have a quick override e.g. floor the accelerator. The danger there is the vehicle then accelerating more than you want it to.

Said it before, I'm so pleased the bulk of my driving has been in times when we can drive where we want at the (safe) speed we want without intervention from tech. The sad thing is when I retire and actually have time to go here and there, such freedoms will no doubt be further restricted.
Why yes it does!

At no point does it operate the brakes, so the reduction in the car’s speed is gentle and progressive. As the ISA comes into play, the accelerator pedal becomes unresponsive. The ISA system approved by the EU will be overridable, which means the driver can ignore it by firmly pressing the accelerator. If the driver continues to drive above the speed limit, the system will sound and display a warning for several seconds

So MBKs example earlier is irrelevant, nothing would change and so you'll still have the option to floor it to try to put ahead and you'll still brake instead.

There was an Austin Maxi in the car park at Aldi yesterday. I thought it looked really good! What also stood out was how tiny it seemed externally, for a spacious family car, alongside the modern cars.

There was an Austin Maxi in the car park at Aldi yesterday. I thought it looked really good! What also stood out was how tiny it seemed externally, for a spacious family car, alongside the modern cars.

See a few classics regularly in supermarkets I visit. A harvest gold Austin 1800 landcrab can often be seen in disabled parking at Asda. Also regularly an early Mustang. Often see an old bloke in his 1969 Wolseley 15/60 (Farina, same as Oxfords and Cambridges) and a real rarity same place occasionally - a bright yellow Mk1 Capri. When I say Mk1 Capri, not the early 70s version, but a Mk1 Consul Capri from early 60s. Basically 2 door version of a Ford Classic. But nothing like the Ford Pubic. :giggle:

Last edited:
My 19 plate Ford Galaxy has this already, I believe. It can even be set to on/off depending on the keyfob used. Salesman told us that the elderly garage owner's Ford had it set on for his fob as he had too many speeding points! and his daughter has to hide the other, unrestricted, fob from him.

Potentially useful to control young drivers getting into bad habits?

My in car maps have recently been updated but (allegedly) are still 18 months old. Seen plenty of erroneous speed limits via the maps where limits have changed, and the camera doesn't always register the speed roundels if dirty, part obscured or even at the wrong angle. It does default to 60 single carriageway and 70 for dual carriageways usually.

Not actually used it 'in anger' though. Unlike the cabin mood lights colour choice ;)

Cabin mood light choice is a must on any car as is the active sound control v8 engine noise piped through the speakers when you put the car in sport mode.

Sponsored Links
Back