Intelligent Speed Assistance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This will be mandatory on new cars across the EU from July, mandatory in the sense it can't be switched off. The UK has opted out. My understanding is it will be activated each time the vehicle is started, however the driver can deactivate.

I know we've discussed this and similar in other threads, however it seems to be receiving media attention again recently, maybe because July is getting ever closer. A couple of things spring to mind ...

1. I wonder when (I don't say 'if' because I'm sure it's a case of 'when') the UK will also make the tech mandatory?

2. Also, because we're going to have numerous vehicles on the road that don't have the tech, I wonder if a mandatory retro fitting scheme will be introduced at least for those vehicles that are new enough to run the tech?

I find it interesting because, when it becomes mandatory here, there will still be significant numbers of vehicles that don't have the tech. So we'll have a two tier thing when it comes to speed. Folk with vehicles that simply can't go any faster, and folk that can still do as they like.

It'll be fun in those 20 zones that most of us would deem unnecessary, stuck behind someone doing bang on 20 who can't do 25 even if they wanted to.

Sponsored Links
Imagine you are on a motorway on the inside lane in a 40 or 50mph temporary limit road and the lorry in the middle lane puts his indicator on and next to you to show he wants the exit. You have one less tool at your disposal to avoid being crushed, one less way to easily create space for him and one less way to get out his blind spot

Even though the technology can be disabled, it's not going to be a thing that comes top of mind unless say it can be disabled intelligently.

Not to mention that sometimes speed limit signs get hit and turned around, so you could find it suddenly wants to enforce a side road speed limit.

I don't buy in to the accident reduction claims. I suspect after a while we would see compensatory behaviour as with most safety tech.

I was test driving the new Model 3 Tesla which has sonar car parking sensors/scanners which create a 3d radar like image. Yet still two of the test fleet had rear end damage which looks to have been caused by reversing into something.

Sponsored Links
I can see there being an absolutely massive backlash against this, be very surprised if it doesn't get withdrawn in the EU.

Certainly can't see it coming in here

I recall when motorcycles had to have a twin headlight switched out so as not to look like a car a long way off at night based on some stupid rule. The first mod - you asked the dealer to make was to swap the relay so that other light would work. Nobody thought the poor rider could actually benefit from the extra light and reduction in shadowing that two lights provide.

How does the vehicle know the speed limit for the road ?

As MBK said, camera reads the road signs (if they're present, of course).

GPS too; my sat nav knows the speed limit of the road on which I'm driving at the time.

I can see there being an absolutely massive backlash against this, be very surprised if it doesn't get withdrawn in the EU.

As with everything, the law-abiding will have this, and the crims will have it disabled (y)

Car design is getting to the point where the driver is more passenger than pilot.

On the tesla you just tap the speed limit sign and the warnings are switched off for the rest of the drive.

a bit of googling suggests its been thought through a bit at least... But the plan is to make it always on.

The ISA system approved by the EU will be overridable, which means the driver can ignore it by firmly pressing the accelerator. If the driver continues to drive above the speed limit, the system will sound and display a warning for several seconds.

As MBK said, camera reads the road signs (if they're present, of course).

GPS too; my sat nav knows the speed limit of the road on which I'm driving at the time.
Roads with national speed limits often have no speed signs.
GPS speeds are often incorrect , my local dual carriageway ( 70mph) shows as 50mph for around 5miles.
Local country road has a 20mph speed limit over a bridge (nsl 60mph)
But not shown on gps while same road in opposite direction incorrectly shows 20mph for entire road ( around 1 1/2 miles)

Folk with vehicles that simply can't go any faster, and folk that can still do as they like.

Another example of technology enslaving us. Feckers in their limited EV milk floats (limited in range and now speed) had better get out of the way. I'm in my 20 year old oil burner, and I'm coming through. :cool:

tbh I think, eventually, this sort of tech will be mandatory on all new vehicles. It'll be the natural direction of things as the tech becomes ever more advanced. Please note, before the moans come, I'm neither saying I agree with this sort of tech nor that 'advanced' equates to reliable.

What I find quite disappointing is a few people in articles have said they like using this sort of tech as it 'stops them speeding' and/or because they've 'never been good at judging speed reduction' when coming from e.g. a 60 to a 30 zone.

Really?

What level of sh1t driver do you need to be to be incapable of driving at a limit, or dropping your speed accordingly. I've always found those aspects of driving extremely easy.

Another example of technology enslaving us. Feckers in their limited EV milk floats (limited in range and now speed) had better get out of the way. I'm coming through in my 20 year old oil burner. :cool:

My plan is to drive my 2015 VW Passat diesel into the ground, then buy the newest petrol or diesel that's available and do the same again...

I've never been one for changing car every few years anyway!

Another example of technology enslaving us. Feckers in their limited EV milk floats (limited in range and now speed) had better get out of the way. I'm coming through in my 20 year old oil burner. :cool:
This is what I'm saying. It's going to be a weird transitional period of x years (couple of decades?), with a gradual increase of new vehicles with the tech and gradual decrease of vehicles without. In the intervening period, we'll have those who simply can't drive faster and those who can.

Sponsored Links
Back