Can I slab a damp Solum?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Downsizing to a 1965 block built traditional house in sunny Scotland! Survey noted the solum as damp. The solum is open earth and about 4 feet deep. Plenty of unblocked air bricks. The concrete block work is all dry even below the DPC. The soil is not soaking but definitely not dry. Because we are downsizing and tight for space and the depth and easy access to the solum had had thought about putting slabs down and then pallets on top so I could store non flammable items we may need in future but don't need now.

I had no intention of using any plastic sheeting, or even breathable membranes I would simply lay out clean slabs I am able to source free. I had also thought about large thick Welsh slates that I am also able to source free. Thinking it would keep the damp underneath the slabs and generally make the void better and cleaner.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
OP,
For my money, what you propose is a bad idea. I think its a bad idea for a number of reasons but thats just me, others might have different notions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back