Underfloor solum smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone first time poster here, long time reader though and must say that a lot of questions ive had in the past have been asked and answered on these forums.

We recently purchased a 1930’s bungalow and are staring to do it up as its outdated and needed work.

What we have found is that there is a musty smell in certain parts of the house, where there are gaps to the under floor.. for example

1: in the airing cupboard where there are holes for pipes to run into the floor area.
2: in the kitchen in cupboards where there is gaps to the floor area below.
3 in the master bedroom where the carpet was old and crappy and had patches etc.

I have lifted a few boards and inspection holes throughout the bungalow and all areas of the floor underneath look the same. There is a dirt solum under a suspended floor. I have checked as much as I can for dry rot and wet rot and there doesn’t appear to be any, as per some of the photos.

The solum however is covered in a white deposit with yellow looking sandy type substance covering most areas. I am assuming this is a mould or spore of some kind?

I have cleaned the air bricks out around the house however at the back of the property a conservatory has been built which makes the air bricks on the rear of the house actually internal. This conservatory is being demolished and built into a permanent extension in Feb/March. So this issue will be dealt with then.

Now onto the actual question, We are decorating the bedroom, and I need to know whether we should not worry about this under floor solum and just ensure that there is a vapour barrier under the new carpet, or whether i really need to get someone in to do something to stop the smell at the source. I am also considering installing more air bricks as there is currently 3 in this room.

I hope there is someone who might be able to advise what we should do so we don’t end up getting caught out. In the future.

Here are some photos of the issues.....
Floor boards underside
DSCN3450.jpg

Solum
DSCN3449.jpg

DSCN3447.jpg

DSCN3445.jpg

Sponsored Links
One for the building forum :idea: but it`s most likely the consevatory stopping a through flow of air - I had a similar issue with my garage stopping through/cross flow of air - I piped a duct to the outside . I also had airbricks that went into the cavity but not across to the solum :rolleyes:

Use the "Alert Mods" button and ask them to move it for you.

If you can also re-size your pictures it'll make it easier to read.

Sponsored Links
Have you resolved this problem yet? Anything with a 1930s build solum problem I would be very wary of. Is it a tar solum? is there a strong tar smell coming offit? If so you need to contact an environmental consultant to air test your property and get the stuff removed. It may not be so drastic but if it is I can help as I have had problems with a 1930s solum which was contaminated and releasing vapours into the air. First you need to establish what is causing the smell. get a damp proofer out first to see what they think. Don,t ignore it. I can advise you if you do have a contamination problem. Don't cover over it, it won't work, you need to treat the source, and get professional advise.

1. the building trade term for solum is oversite.

2. as Nigel said it's most probably an air flow issue.When your extn. is built make sure that you have adequate cross/thro ventilation built in.

3. the oversite appears damp, perhaps ,if you cleared the rubble, laying a moisture barrier/plastic membrane would help.

Hi, wondering if you got anything sorted with this issue (realise that was 5 years ago!) but as I have exactly the same issue and with another 1930's bungalow. Currently in process of installing new air bricks and a vapour barrier onto the soil itself. Anyone else have any ideas how to sort this? When i'm installing the vapour barrier should I be sticking it to the bricks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back