Wire End Crimps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I know that bootlace ferrule sets are easy enough to source as I bought one a while ago but I would like to know if Flat Blade wire end crimps in various sizes from 1mm² to 10mm² can also be bought ?

Reason I ask is that everytime I look for them online, the only results I seem to get are the automotive type blade connectors, or something similar to the terminations on the end of CU Split Load Wiring but only in insulated red, Blue or Yellow sizes.

Basically can a set be bought like the bootlace ferrule sets ?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Never seen any, the only flat blades I know of are those like the ring crimps but with the flat blade.
1714683808560.png

Although, depending upon your crimpers you may be able to get flat blades just using the normal cord end ferrules (Bootlace crimps).
Mine crimp it square but a subby we have in gets them flat with his.

Cheers @mattylad They're the only ones that I seem to be able to find as well. My crimpers for the bootlace ferrules crimp square as well (a kit I bought from TLC) but I might see if I can find the other crimper type you mention. :unsure:

Not tried it (yet!) but would normal bootlace ferrules and a pair of pliers work to produce a flat blade

i have a pair of parallel jaw pliers so I might give it a go.20240503_102019.jpg it does seem to work though

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Or you could get a pair of the correct crimpers for the crimps I showed.
Currently 33% off.

Although I prefer these. (not sure why)

Although I prefer these. (not sure why)

They look like they are made in the same factory

They look like they are made in the same factory
They do - and given that (without discounts) there is only a £0.01 difference in price, i would strongly suspect that they are probably both the same product :)

yeah I'd go with whichever you can get.
I originally thought the jaws looked different but now I'm not so sure.

To me those pre insulated crimps always look like a bodge when installed. I think it's the way the plastic gets deformed during crimping and therefore i avoid using them.

To me those pre insulated crimps always look like a bodge when installed. I think it's the way the plastic gets deformed during crimping and therefore i avoid using them.

I recently had to extend the flex on my mum's Miele washing machine. I decided to go with the same female spade connectors used by Miele. They are the uninsulated ones that grip both the copper and insulation.

Admittedly, I did initially use insulated crimps from Amazon but given that my crimping tool is not calibrated, each fitting failed the "tug test". I like the fact that you can see the integrity of the fitting when you use uninsulated fittings.

Downside- I purchased the wrong size of connector initially, and because of the £25+ vat free delivery, I ended up having to spend another £25+ vat for the delivery of the correct size of connector, additionally, I sent another £25 for a German branded crimping tool, that will only do those open crimps.

Yeah, it cost me £75, excluding the cost of the flex (and my time) to extend it, but I now have loads of different sized open crimps and insulated boot covers, ohh.. and 50m of 10mm earthing slieve that I purchased in error.

If anyone needs a handful, I can put them in an envelope and post them out- BTW, don't ask if you are in a mega rush, I will need to buy an envelope and some stamps first. Regardless, I have more than I will ever need.

as opps says those uninsulated push on terminals need a special crimp tool. RS used to do one but i cant find it on the website now.
this is the correct tool
20240508_153037.jpg
and although it looks like the cheapo ones you see in poundland etc the crimping jaws are very different

20240508_153049.jpg
you can just make out that the jaws are designed to "wrap" the wings of the terminal round the wire and if done correctly produces a very nice neat join

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back