Whirring noise at slow speed when driving off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Audi a4 with 18k on the clock, 4 years old. When driving off from a standstill, and only when cornering left or right, I get a kind of “whir whir whir” at about 10mph, then no other noise when driving around normally. It’s not overly loud, but started to notice it over the past couple of weeks. Doesn’t do it when driving straight, only when the wheels are angled left or right. No noise at all, over about 10mph. Any ideas? I’m thinking possibly CV or wheel bearing? I’ll get it checked out, but keen to know opinions in the meantime. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Can't see it being wheel bearing or cv at 18k but never say never.

Noise description sounds more like trim or similar rubbing.

Hit anything or disturbed anything lately?

Can't see it being wheel bearing or cv at 18k but never say never.

Noise description sounds more like trim or similar rubbing.

Hit anything or disturbed anything lately?
I did think that, but couldn’t see anything obvious. I’ve only had the car a couple of months, and I’m sure it wasn’t doing it when I got it. Might jack it up and have a better look.

Sponsored Links
Also, I think the tyres are pretty much end of life so will get them replaced. Guess it’s possibly related to that (possibly)

Also, I think the tyres are pretty much end of life so will get them replaced. Guess it’s possibly related to that (possibly)

It will not be a tyre, but if you are getting tyres changed, tell them about the noise, and ask them to investigate at the same time.

Only does it when steering is fairly far to left/right though, not when straight, which is odd

Which is when the tiny amount of play in a wheel bearing, is pushed to it's limit, and when the disk, and wheel are distorted out of shape, by the side load. Hence, parts come in contact, which normally doesn't happen, when driving straight ahead.

It will not be a tyre, but if you are getting tyres changed, tell them about the noise, and ask them to investigate at the same time.

Which is when the tiny amount of play in a wheel bearing, is pushed to it's limit, and when the disk, and wheel are distorted out of shape, by the side load. Hence, parts come in contact, which normally doesn't happen, when driving straight ahead.
It could well be a tyre. A bulge, or trim fouling.

Could be other things too. Can't be answered without looking

Sponsored Links
Back