Stud Wall - Help Speeding Up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently building my first stud wall after much advice on these forums. But my god, it's taking me forever!

The wall is 100mmx50mm studs, sitting around 150mm from the stone wall, in prep for the insulation going in.

The issue im having is how long its taking me. Each vertical stud is taking me around 45 minutes to get in place....yes 45 minutes. At the present rate I'm estimating 6 weeks to finish the stud wall! I'm reading posts where trademen do it in a day (its a 15m x 5m space) and I'm a DIYer, so fully expect it to take a lot longer, but I just wanted to see if anyone knows how I might speed things up a little.

My process;

Cut the two noggins, and get the middle one screwed into place.
Position the vertical, pilot hole and temporary screw into place.
Mark on the wall the position of the bracket (which is a piece of timber).
Cut the bracket to size and pilot hole
Mark the pilot hole on wall, and drill with the masonary bit, inserting the roe plug
Fix bracket
Put the vertical up and screw into the bracket, checking horiztonal and plumb line
Fix the vertical to the base board
Fix the top noggin

I should clarify, I cant have a top plate, so the bracket is the means of fixing in addition to the base fixing....and helping to maintain the distance from the wall.

On a positive, the above is resulting in a perfectly plumb wall, that you could literally hang a herd of elephants off. Problem is the elephants only live to around 80 so will be dead by the time I finish.

Annyone advise on any way I can streamline the above process to get it finished within the year?

p.s. Yes I have put plumb lines on every single batten....yes I do have OCD.

PXL_20240502_073948444.jpg

PXL_20240502_074005012.jpg

PXL_20240502_074022533.jpg

Sponsored Links
Cut two pieces of timber to the internal distance between the studs horizontally and noggins vertically and use these for spacing and support before you fix. All the studs first, then the noggins

Have the noggins in line and skew fix the one end.

Use a G clamp or similar to keep the timber to be fixed flush with the timber being fixed to.

Fix the frame plumb first (all studs and noggins), then fit the packers.

Nail not screw.

Cut two pieces of timber to the internal distance between the studs horizontally and noggins vertically and use these for spacing and support before you fix. All the studs first, then the noggins

Have the noggins in line and skew fix the one end.

Use a G clamp or similar to keep the timber to be fixed flush with the timber being fixed to.

Fix the frame plumb first (all studs and noggins), then fit the packers.

Nail not screw.
Sorry posisbly daft questions.... how would I fit the packers at the end. The packers are drilled and roe plugged into the wall, which I wouldnt then be able to get to.

1000035066.jpg

Either notch or just fix the packer to the side of the stud. Fixings on an angle.

Or use cut restraint straps.

Sponsored Links
View attachment 341938

Either notch or just fix the packer to the side of the stud. Fixings on an angle.

Or use cut restraint straps.
Thank you much appreciated.

That does look like it would save a lot of time. Only problem would be that it would mean I couldn't push the 130 millimeter insulation board in without think of chunk out.

I wouldn't describe it as a chunk!

But metal strips would be better then if that's your concern.

Think on the concept to reduce the thickness. But the more you mess about, the more time it takes.

Just a thought, does it actually need fixing to the wall mid height? If it's secure top and bottom and plumb, then it will stiffen up when it's boarded and won't need intermediate fixing to the wall.

Just a thought, does it actually need fixing to the wall mid height? If it's secure top and bottom and plumb, then it will stiffen up when it's boarded and won't need intermediate fixing to the wall.
Yeah it does need fixing, as it isn't fixed at the top (its a vaulted ceiling).

The meta brackets should do the trick thats a good shout....ive got some from a previous project so should work well. Thanks again for your help.

So I followed your advice, and have had a few more days on the project. Used the metal brackets, and I recon it has made things twice as fast. Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back