Road tax

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently my mother (88?) has sent a cheque off to Swansea with the reminder form! I don't think you can do this, (as in renew the road tax by post) or can you?

What is likely to happen as of the 1st May her car is showing as not taxed! and now she doesnt have te form to renew by phone.

Jeez - I'm sick of mad old folk

Sponsored Links
Yes you can send them a cheque, made out to "DVLA Swansea".
Contact the bank and ask if the cheque has been cashed.
That will show at least that the DVLC have received it as AFAIK they cash them immediately then send the paperwork to be dealt with.

If it was not made out to DVLA Swansea then it may be best getting it cancelled if you can.

Could you not tax it for her online ?
I always do that for our cars & have done so for elderly neighbours that don't have the internet.

As for 'mad old folk' you'll be one some day :oops:

Could you not tax it for her online ?
I always do that for our cars & have done so for elderly neighbours that don't have the internet.

As for 'mad old folk' you'll be one some day :oops:
I normally do it over the phone, but when I went to see her she said she had put it all in the post, that was a week ago, now her car has no tax and the form with the big number is gone off to swansea !

and there is no money come out of her bank account either!

Sponsored Links
I normally do it over the phone, but when I went to see her she said she had put it all in the post, that was a week ago, now her car has no tax and the form with the big number is gone off to swansea !

and there is no money come out of her bank account either!
Sadly the older generation can be trying at times, I should know as I'm one of them :rolleyes:
As suggested you could contact Swansea to quote both the reg. & VIN # from the V5c

Sadly the older generation can be trying at times, I should know as I'm one of them :rolleyes:
As suggested you could contact Swansea to quote both the reg. & VIN # from the V5c
But even if his call is answered in a reasonable time, will they deal with him, since he is not the owner of the car ?

But even if his call is answered in a reasonable time, will they deal with him, since he is not the owner of the car ?
Best bet is to make the call from his Mum's then DVLA call handler can speak to her if required.
Silly, though widely employed, form of security really as anyone could masquerade as 'Mum' on the 'phone :unsure:

I don't see why DVLA would care who paid the tax, as long as it got paid.

Best bet is to make the call from his Mum's then DVLA call handler can speak to her if required.
Silly, though widely employed, form of security really as anyone could masquerade as 'Mum' on the 'phone :unsure:
shes 70 mile away, went down last week, brought her car up here, got it serviced and MOTd. then I said where is the form for the road tax, she said she sent it off with a cheque - jeez

I can get it all done with the V5 and a phone call from her house - but thats a 140 mile round trip, and probably an hour queing on the phone. jesus fecking wept

I will leave it a few more days see if the cheque gets cashed in or the road tax web site suddenly says its taxed.

I can get it all done with the V5 and a phone call from her house

Why do you have to go to her house?
Can't she just send a photo of the V5?
And you just put her on speaker (if they insist on speaking to her), when you get through to DVLA?

Although, I agree with Alec T, as in I can't see why they would care about who pays.

Sponsored Links
Back