Odd GU10 to GU10 adapter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been looking for a long time and thought I would try again. Is there such a thing as a GU10 extension.
I have some GU10 recessed lights that were used when the first CFL magaman GU10 bulbs came out which were long - as was the higher wattage LED lamps. But now I am replacing them new LED bulbs which are shorter and now sit too far inside the lamp so that they cast a shadow on the wall - even with 110 or 120 degree bulbs.
The fitting is actually designed for a bulb to sit right inside with a reflector but it does not work so well with LEDs.
So ideally I want a GU10 to Gu10 extension to bring the bulb flush with the front of the unit. This is it and the bulb sits right inside so its face is level with the last part of the reflector you can see deep inside. Trying not to replace the units just to get a wider light spread.
nnure.JPG

Sponsored Links
These may fit: https://www.screwfix.com/p/sylvania-refled-gu10-led-light-bulb-345lm-4-5w/400KR

Personally would sling those old fittings away and get some decent new ones designed for the purpose.
Shoehorning new lamps into old fittings that were never designed for them is usually a fail.
Actually that one in the link is perfect - only that I am looking for 6000-6500k and a wider beam. Don't think that is going to be achievable.
The fittings were designed for old GU10 Halogen which generally I think were not a very wide spread so the fitting is deeper and has a reflector to help spread the narrow beam.
At the time of fitting them the CFL megaman bulbs were just about the only low energy option and as they were a longer bulb these fittings were ideal as the megaman came flush with the edge of the light fitting. 1 or 2 have been replaced with with early LEDs which to get the higher wattage / Lm were also longer than normal.
Fast forward to now and LEDs are no bigger than the original Halogens so now the bulbs sit right inside but the reflector is not very efficient, I get by with buying 110 or 120 degree bulbs which help spread the light.

I have 10 fittings and the hole point was to save energy/ money and makes a joke of the whole environment thing if I have to change them every x amount of years so would prefer to keep the fittings.

Sponsored Links
I have 10 fittings and the hole point was to save energy/ money
If you wanted a wider spread of light then surely 2-3 pendants with a normal light bulb on would have made more sense than 10x 50W halogens!
I used to live in a house with 6 of the f****rs in the kitchen, the GU10 CFL bulbs were a great solution.

If you wanted a wider spread of light then surely 2-3 pendants with a normal light bulb on would have made more sense than 10x 50W halogens!
I used to live in a house with 6 of the f****rs in the kitchen, the GU10 CFL bulbs were a great solution.
The idea was never to have 10 50w halogens. From the start it was to use low energy CFLs. They are not all in 1 room. Pedants and normal bulbs are ugly, and g9s or g4s were not available at the time in LED like they are now, also I do have a g9 pendant which takes about 6 bulbs but ius just not bright enough AND the LED g9 bulbs do not seem to last very long at all.

So ideally I want a GU10 to Gu10 extension to bring the bulb flush with the front of the unit.
It seems that such animals do exist (although I don't know whether the amount of 'extension' would be right for you) - for example .... (click here) , but at a rather ridiculous price (if you would want 10 of them!). The suggestion that you should look for 'long-neck' lamps/bulbs seems like a much better bet! .... ...

1714700996189.png

Kind Regards, John

If that's £13 for 5 then that's not too bad.
Given how random the lifetime of bulbs can be, I think an adaptor makes more sense because it's not going blow [surely...] and means that one has a much greater choice of bulbs that can be fitted.

It seems that such animals do exist (although I don't know whether the amount of 'extension' would be right for you) - for example .... (click here) , but at a rather ridiculous price (if you would want 10 of them!). The suggestion that you should look for 'long-neck' lamps/bulbs seems like a much better bet! .... ...

View attachment 342012

Kind Regards, John
That's great I have been looking on and off for a long time but admittedly not recently and they look perfect. Question mark though on if I am buying 5 - as in the picture as it doesn't actually say. £2.62 each but the post is free.

If that's £13 for 5 then that's not too bad.
Given how random the lifetime of bulbs can be, I think an adaptor makes more sense because it's not going blow [surely...] and means that one has a much greater choice of bulbs that can be fitted.
Yes 100% that (y)

That's great I have been looking on and off for a long time but admittedly not recently and they look perfect. Question mark though on if I am buying 5 - as in the picture as it doesn't actually say. £2.62 each but the post is free.
You're welcome. However, all I did was asked Mr Google to search for "GU10 to GU10 adapter", and that was one of the first hits I got. There may well be many more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back