My Garden Office/Studio project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I thought I’d start a thread here as this project is going to take a long time and will most likely involve a lot of skills I haven’t got yet!

I live in a 1937 three bedroom semi detached house with a reasonably sized back garden (roughly 20m long and a little bit wider than the house).
Halfway down the back garden there’s an old garage. The houses were designed to have a hinged fence in between ours and our non-detached neighbours house and you would be able to flip the fence over to one side and drive your car between the houses and into your back garden and garage.

The hinged fence has long since gone and I suspect the garage hasn’t had a car in it for at least 50 years. We currently use the garage as a dumping ground/shed.

It’s a wooden beam construction clad with painted asbestos that sits on a concrete base.My plan is to strip it down and build a post and beam Office/Recording studio.

To start with I’m going to hone my skills by building a shed from scratch to accommodate all of the shed ‘stuff’ that’s currently in the garage.

I’ll post up some images over the weekend and keep this updated as I go. I’ll also be posting a similar thread in the Sound-On-Sound recording forum specifically about acoustics and sound proofing.

In terms of sizes…
Length - 4.91m
Width - 2.45m
Height - almost exactly 2.5m to the apex of the roof - BUT - the base that it sits on is around 20cm above ground level

My initial queries are as follows…
- Is there any software or online service that will help me calculate timber sizes needed and quantities?
- I saw a YouTube video that explained that nails are preferred for framing as nails bend whereas screws snap - I haven’t got a nail gun, is it worth hiring one or will screws be fine?
-In terms of sound proofing; I mainly play drums. If we assume a drum kit generates 120dB what’s the most cost effective way to get this down to 45/50dB at the house if the house is 10m from the front of the garage?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back