Is this wooden lintel spanning doorway ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 910mm wide opening (excluding door frame) in a lean-to porch that needs re roofing in tiles across the whole. LHS is brick, RHS is (skinny) timber frame and glazed built on a half height wall.

My plan is to use a lintel/wall plate combo made from x3 4"x2" treated timbers as show on drawings.

1. Do you think this is sufficient?

2. Is it ok that it will bear onto masonry one side and timber the other?

The two roof sections need a new construction for tiles across the whole, as the old design had two parts with differing wall plates and projecting out to two elevations- the gutter across the front had a zig zag mess, joining the two parts.

I have to build up the wall on RHS to door header height, and build in a lintel that can bear tiles from the 3330x2550 roof, across the door. Rafters (6"x2") at 400mm centres.

I made below post in the wrong place, where 'CDBE' has kindly advised I need not run the 'wall plate/lintel combo' all the way across. I was a bit stuck on how to integrate masonry on one side, across a doorway and onto timber framework so fancied the one-piece solution, but with the doubled up 4"x2"s on top of the wall plate.

Any thoughts/advice gratefully received :)

Original post below.

Attachments

• Before.png
    Before.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 26
  • After.png
    After.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230822_082156.jpg
    20230822_082156.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
I woud suggest knocking that down and starting again, going further out and right accros.

Andy
Thanks Andy. My wife agrees. Have not got that kind of money though and are aiming really to stop the current leaks and the glass framed section coming down on us as it's rotten. We had a quote for what I am going to attempt, but not inc external shiplap to RHS/timber section, nor electric renewal, nor boarding inside, and that was £3.5k.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back