How To Bond Peel & Stick Vinyl Tiles To Porcelain

To answer my own question, I used a wire brush to abrade the tiles. As we have no interest in reverting back to the existing large black shiny porcelain tiles, this solution works well for us. Thanks to those that replied! :)

Sponsored Links
:)
:)

I'm still undecided on this and haven't got round to it. Turns out that the wire brush to abrade the tiles works intermittently.

In all my days looking at forums and videos on all things DIY, this one takes the cake. There's practically nothing out there on this. Overboarding with ply works, I've done it twice before. Once over floorboards and once over concrete. This time I have hard shiny porcelain tiles. The technical data sheets on the contact spray adhesives (that I've seen) exclude flexible vinyl planks and I'm loath to raise the floor height.

For sure - if I do overboard there's no way I'm sinking a load of screws into these porcelain tiles. I'd like to think that bonding ply with CT1 or something similar should be fine as one surface (ply of course) is porous. Consulting (peel and stick) manufacturers instructions (as Mapei suggested) is a non-starter as there's nowt there!

I'll have to do something soon as DIY season is here and I've dithered and delayed for too long. There is a YouTube video of a lady using the same peel and stick tiles successfully over ceramic. Clearly, it depends on the tile. Sigh!

I suppose 1/4" ply wouldn't be too bad. I might give the Mapei Eco Prim Grip primer a go - and if that fails then overboard with ply.

Already attempted it. Stuck one plank down well for a few hours. Later in the day, the plank popped off the porcelain tiled surface. Without a doubt, I need some kind of adhesive that bonds well for two non porous surfaces.

The surface is clean and totally flat. It'd be a real shame if I had to overboard with ply and stick the peel & stick onto the ply. I don't want to raise the floor height if I can help it.
Can’t be totally flat with grout lines.

Sponsored Links
@foxhole Grout lines are 1.5mm and the surface across all tiles is as flat as can be. The tiles are large and there are only a few of them. I've even tried sticking down a piece of peel and stick onto a section of abraded tile with no grout lines - hence no tenting or any kind of tile lip. No joy!

I'll need something between the porcelain and the peel and stick. I've had a few suggestions across a couple of forums. I'll have to pick one. If that fails, then ply it is. :-O

Always struggle if you cut corners.
You also said, "Can’t be totally flat with grout lines." The tiles pass the credit card lippage test.

I've looked at some of your post history. You have form with your meaningless and unhelpful one-liners in response to members who simply come on here to ask for help. You sir are a provocateur. I have blocked you.

Last edited:
You also said, "Can’t be totally flat with grout lines." The tiles pass the credit card lippage test.

I've looked at some of your post history. You have form with your meaningless and unhelpful one-liners in response to members who simply come on here to ask for help. You sir are a provocateur. I have blocked you.
One less dumb post to answer .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back