Had A Fall Out With Tradesmen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi as title I was in middle of getting a porcelain patio layed, then I was going to grass seed whole area, however I questioned the haunching.

It comes out from my edging blocks at least 50 to 60mm wide, possibly more I never measured, and is square not angled, and is 40mm below the edging, (finished height of patio,) at the bottom is top soil although hard to see and was covered with tarpaulin to suppress weeds until I'm ready to seed.

I said what is the purpose of the haunching being so wide, answer to give the blocks and patio strength, I then said with the ledge haunching etc, only being able to hold 40mm of soil when I bring the top soil level with the patio, surely the seeds have no chance of growing in the shallow soil will die, I'll end up with a bare patch that will likely be replaced by weeds, tried to explain best I could hope you get my points.
IMG_20240501_163958.jpg

Sponsored Links
The grass on the edge will have some roots extending into the soil so may still stay green in all but the dryest weather, we have grass growing and spreading at least 9" across concrete.

Hi thanks, so was I wrong to question the tradesmen, I just thought the seeds would have no chance of germinating in the shallow soil, and the job would be done and 4 months down the line I wouldn't have the grass running right up to the edge of my patio, as I've read on other posts people with haunched drives patios etc the grass has died and they've struggled to maintain that plush edge, I'm in Scotland, alot of rain lol.

I see your point , perhaps they could make it a little higher and wider but put a slant on it.

Sponsored Links
I see your point , perhaps they could make it a little higher and wider but put a slant on it.
Thanks, yep I couldn't get why it was stepped, and not at 45 degrees, I'm no expert at sowing grass, however I've done it, but I've found it hard for the edges to take on, when I've had six inches of soil.

I don't think it will be a problem. Pretty sure mine is the same but if you’re bothered, it would take 10 minutes to chop that sharp corner off to give yourself an angled edge.

Consider turf when you buy it on a roll it must be about 40mm deep. I think what could happen with that haunching is that in hot weather its not so much a problem that the roots are not in enough soil but more the case that they get dry quicker. I am thinking that the people laying the area never get any call backs from people complaining about dead grass from the way they have done the haunching because people put it down to hot dry weather rather than the haunching.
If it were me I would of had a chat with them when they were doing it and asked for it to be wider and higher but at an angle, but they do not want any call backs from moving blocks and have no concern for dry grass in the summer perhaps.
Grass is very underrated in my opinion as it can look dead but given a few showers springs back to life.
Looking at the size of the area I think its crying out for faux grass - unless it is a bigger area than it looks, is there a lot more area behind you.

If they go to the trouble of having the haunching that neat, i woudn't be falling out with them, the grass will grow fine in that area.
Now that is a point !
I don't understand why they have done it that way - surly its stronger as a retainer if it was at an angle --- like an earth dam is built. It acctualy take effort to do it that way but for what benefit

Consider turf when you buy it on a roll it must be about 40mm deep. I think what could happen with that haunching is that in hot weather its not so much a problem that the roots are not in enough soil but more the case that they get dry quicker. I am thinking that the people laying the area never get any call backs from people complaining about dead grass from the way they have done the haunching because people put it down to hot dry weather rather than the haunching.
If it were me I would of had a chat with them when they were doing it and asked for it to be wider and higher but at an angle, but they do not want any call backs from moving blocks and have no concern for dry grass in the summer perhaps.
Grass is very underrated in my opinion as it can look dead but given a few showers springs back to life.
Looking at the size of the area I think its crying out for faux grass - unless it is a bigger area than it looks, is there a lot more area behind you.
Hi yes it is fairly sized back yard, whole area to be seeded is 82m squared.

If they go to the trouble of having the haunching that neat, i woudn't be falling out with them, the grass will grow fine in that area.
Hi Charlie can you explain what you mean please, are you saying it is too weak in that shape and should be spanning the area further and higher to the edging, however have a 45 degree angle as others are saying cheers.

Hi yes it is fairly sized back yard, whole area to be seeded is 82m squared.
i see - not a big fan of faux grass unless its a small area which would otherwise mean a lot of faff with a lawnmower f0or such a small area

Hi Charlie can you explain what you mean please, are you saying it is too weak in that shape and should be spanning the area further and higher to the edging, however have a 45 degree angle as others are saying cheers.
I think he is saying that to do it like that - and it being neat leads one to believe that they are very conscientious and proud in their work for something that would never be seen
Thats how I read it anyway.

I don't think it will be a problem. Pretty sure mine is the same but if you’re bothered, it would take 10 minutes to chop that sharp corner off to give yourself an angled edge.
How would you do that after it's set? Which it will have by now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back