Finishing new solid wood ash staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

We have had our new solid wood ash staircase installed. I would greatly appreciate some advice on how to finish it and the products we would need so the natural look of the wood is preserved (no yellow stain) yet the grains are only slightly highlighted to elevate the look.

Do we need to stain the wood or use sealer, primer etc?

Many thanks in advance!
Sid

Sponsored Links
I have an oak one and used 1 coat of Carls hard wax oil then sanded down with very fine paper then a coat of carls hard wax restorer which you then buff up when dry. And that has ben on about 10 years and still perfect.
The problem is that with Oak anyway that you can not stop it yellowing over time with light, I dont think its the coating but rather the wood underneath. Maybe ash will not be so susceptible to it.

Sponsored Links
Full staircase! Picture attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0261.jpeg
    IMG_0261.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 12
I have an oak one and used 1 coat of Carls hard wax oil then sanded down with very fine paper then a coat of carls hard wax restorer which you then buff up when dry. And that has ben on about 10 years and still perfect.
The problem is that with Oak anyway that you can not stop it yellowing over time with light, I dont think its the coating but rather the wood underneath. Maybe ash will not be so susceptible to it.
Thanks! Would you be ok to share the picture of your staircase or treads is ok too. Thanks again

Nothing to see really its a square newel post with a top rail and a bottom real with glass inbetween. I did not have wood treads though but the treads are carpet but the risers are oak. Although its faux as the risers are original but with an oak veneer.
I think Bona brought Carls as this is the product, still says Carls in brackets ) https://www.woodenflooraccessories.co.uk/product/bona-carls-hard-wax-oil-satin-2-5l/
Im sorry but I cannot remember if I used one coat of that and then one application of this https://www.woodenflooraccessories.co.uk/product/carls-hard-wax-refresher-1l-100m2/ out of stock but there must be a similar product
Or I just used 2 coats of the restorer.
The restorer is a thinner opaque liquid that slightly soaks in and dry s very quick you then buff it up a little for a satin shene. Wouldnt buff your treads though.
I went for carpet for no noise and no slip

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back