Efflorescence - is it a problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Efflorescence has formed on the outside wall of our house. It's under a car port so pretty unexposed to the elements, however it is next to the outside tap.

Should I be concerned about damp damaging the masonry, or can I simply purchase something to remove?

Thanks
Andy

Attachments

• PXL_20240428_172642561.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240428_172642561.MP.jpg
    733.2 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
Most likely caused by water splash. It will get worse as more water evaporates. You may be able to remove some of the crystals with dry brushing. Do not try to wash it off.

Thankyou both for the prompt responses. Aside from brushing away the crystals, should I take any other action? I suppose I'm trying to assess whether I need somebody to come round and knock through and inside wall to figure out what's happening, or whether this is likely a minor inconvenience as a result of the outdoor tap. Cheers

Sponsored Links
It's aesthetic only not damage nor damaging.

Dry brush and hope for the best.

But do check that there is not any specific thing that may be causing excess damp - that pipe leaking internally (check water meter or listen to pipework), drips from the roof, splashback from the tap etc.

The efflorescence is caused by water in the wall evaporating off the surface, leaving dissolved mineral content behind. This will be hardness in the water, but also dissolved out of the bricks and cement. Removing the source of water will remove the cause. The position suggests it is water splashing from the tap, but there might be a leak.

It will continue emerging until the wall is, and remains, dry.

In exposed conditions, it will weather away in a few years.

Aggressive cleaning will damage the surface of the bricks.

Trying to wash it off will just add more water to the wall, and it will reabsorbed any dissolved crystals.

A soft, dry brush will remove any loose material.

There are acid cleaners, but wait until the wall is permanently dry.

Repair any leak or drip. Consider repositioning the tap. Over a drain or gutter would be better.

It's a symptom of another problem. There's definitely an issue there - either a water leak or the driveway isn't sloping away so is funnelling water into the wall. Have a look after it's rained heavily or just wet it with the hose to see what happens. And/or check with a spirit level.

What's the bit of downpipe for?

Combination of splash damage from rain and tap, ? nothing to be concerned about .

Thanks for the feedback everyone and for putting my mind at rest somewhat!

I've brushed off the majority of the crystals and the wall looks much better.

There is a drain in the centre of the carport that prevents any big pools forming, but the floor will usually stay damp after heavy rain or using the tap. I checked this morning (after a little rain the past few days!) and it's validated my thoughts.

All the houses on our street have the same carport and I've noticed the same issue with scales forming in the exact same position on all of them.

I'll consider some alternative draining methods and make a conscious effort to brush away water when using the tap in the meantime.

Water lying on the floor should not make the wall wet above the DPC.

Can you see it?

What is its height relative to the paving?

The carport presumably has a roof to keep rain off. Is the wet patch exposed? Or subject to water from gutter or downpipe?

If the tap is splashing you can attach a short hose to direct the water away from the wall, with a snap-on connector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back