"Damp" fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just in need of some general guidance to do with my fireplace . First time buyer . Took down a fake wall and found fireplace which I've opened up

There was efflorescence / salts and dampness around the bottom , so I've dug out the hearth and seen that my floor slab was around 2 inches thick with clay soil underneath.

So the question really is from the pictures how can I re-lay that floor and keep dampness down

Attachments

• 20230426_194617.jpg
    20230426_194617.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230426_194814.jpg
    20230426_194814.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
The damp might come from the old hearth bridging the dpc (in the wall) if there is one. If so use a plastic membrane on the clay floor and let it into the bricks above dpc/external ground floor level, and lay a screed over it.

Blup

No dpc to be seen sadly wether it be slate or bitumen . Or foundation, once I get so far down the masonry just stops . Seems like my house is just built on soil

Sponsored Links
You may able to add a plastic or epoxy membrane on top of the concrete slab but would need to ensure the damp didn’t migrate to the walls without protecting them

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back