Ceiling Pendant Rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have removed an existing metal ceiling light fitting and just want to put in a plain plastic pendant fitting. This is how it looks.

Screenshot_20240322-172039.png

The new pendant has a single red and blue to connect. Is this something I can do myself and is it a case of connecting the new pendant to above or is more work required and do I need to call in an expert.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
PS it was not absolutely unknown for some to use Red as L, Blue as N and Yellow for E, especially after the advent of the for some years previous change of flex colours from Red/Black/Green to Brown/Blue/Green and Yellow.

Whenever you see cable colours think "What code should have been which colour and what colour has been used in practice" never trust colour codes, they can let you down.

Also watch out for flexes with Brown, Blue and two Blacks and an Earth.

I will not mention the "old Chestnut" of Black not sleeved Red and Blue not sleeved Brown.

Last edited:
'BLUE in the left connector; BROWN in the right. '

So am I going with this then? (Yes it is brown and not red).

1714817818723.png
Marked N for neutral, E for earth, PL for permanent line, and SL for switched line. You don't need to take PL to the new lamp, but often swapping the connector block in the new lamp for one with the extra connection is the easiest way to deal with the PL wires. There are special connectors 1714818093037.pngto allow you to convert from three cables to one before the lamp, note there are cable clamps as well as terminals, also there are maintenance free versions,
1714818285144.png
up to you what method used.

If your ceiling rose has four terminals, I‘d suggest moving the connections from the current choc block to the terminals built into the ceiling rose. Having single-insulated wires and loose connectors pushed up into the ceiling doesn‘t really conform to the regs.

Use a sharpie to label the three red wires that are connected together in the current setup and reconnect them as they were.

Looks like it`s T & E standard loop in wiring from the pic.
If so it will be
1/ a T & E in (R for L and Black for N, the bare is the E and is sleeved Green/Yellow.
2/ a T & E similarly out.
They can both be treated the same,
3/ a switchwire feed and return, both red or a red and black but the black is sleeved red to tell you it`s used as a red.
Both Blacks go together in the N bar.
Two reds (in and out) plus another one on the switchwire go together in the L (Permanent L).
the other red is the L for your light fitting and is used in conjunction with the N for the light fitting (Your brown and Blue on the light fitting.
All the Es go together to connect to you light fitting for earthing.

Now if you look at the excellent pic of that strip connector by Ericmark then that should explain it.

I think if you look at the Wiki then that also explains it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back