Asbestos garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

We are looking into converting our garage, which currently has an asbestos roof.

Does the roof actually need replacing if it is still in good condition? Also, is there something that can be used to cover the inside of the roof and store insulation?

We were quoted £10,000 for a new flat roof.

Thanks
garage roof.jpg

Sponsored Links
We were quoted £10,000 for a new flat roof.

Ridiculous cost, for one days work!

If it's in good condition, then the greater risk is in disturbing it, but if you must, then you could DIY using modern box-section galvanised and painted steel sheet, dependant of the size of the garage, for between £500 and £1000. The apparent spacing of the rafters, suggests more, intermediate ones might be prudent.

£10,000 for new roof? How big is it?

I am guessing that much of the cost is related to the disposal of the sheets.

Can you not just plasterboard the ceiling?

£10,000 for new roof? How big is it?

I am guessing that much of the cost is related to the disposal of the sheets.

Can you not just plasterboard the ceiling?
I should say that the quote was for a fibreglass roof, but still a lot, as it is just 6x2.

I was guessing plasterboard would be an option but I'm a DIY novice.

Sponsored Links
I should say that the quote was for a fibreglass roof, but still a lot, as it is just 6x2.

I was guessing plasterboard would be an option but I'm a DIY novice.

6 by 2? That is tiny, do you mean metres rather than feet?

The fibreglass roof will require OSB or ply. You will need additional supports/joists. Ten grand still sounds expensive. I have only fibre glassed two roofs, but that was back in September 2007- can you post the quote? Someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to advise further.

6 by 2? That is tiny, do you mean metres rather than feet?

The fibreglass roof will require OSB or ply. You will need additional supports/joists. Ten grand still sounds expensive. I have only fibre glassed two roofs, but that was back in September 2007- can you post the quote? Someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to advise further.
Thanks. Yes, sorry metres!

Here is the quote.

We could replace the asbestos roof with metal sheets I assume. I was just concerned that it would be too noisy to then have as a home office.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-03 140001.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-03 140001.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 11
We could replace the asbestos roof with metal sheets I assume. I was just concerned that it would be too noisy to then have as a home office.
You would be wanting to add insulation and that would help in that respect. Not sure about the neighbours though or yourselves in the summer trying to sleep with the rain on the tin drum that is the garage.
Or am I wrong here as I have no experience of a metal roof but considered it myself for a shed but also wondered about the noise. Currently it has a bitumen corrugated roof which is not noisy in the rain.

You would be wanting to add insulation and that would help in that respect. Not sure about the neighbours though or yourselves in the summer trying to sleep with the rain on the tin drum that is the garage.
Or am I wrong here as I have no experience of a metal roof but considered it myself for a shed but also wondered about the noise. Currently it has a bitumen corrugated roof which is not noisy in the rain.

I have three tin rooves (roofs), they are only noisy, inside, only then if there is no insulation below them. If the OP wants the space for a home office, then he has work to do, adding insulation anyway.

I have three tin rooves (roofs), they are only noisy, inside, only then if there is no insulation below them. If the OP wants the space for a home office, then he has work to do, adding insulation anyway.
Thanks for your input.

What do you mean by work adding insulation? Is that not a simple task?

I was guessing plasterboard would be an option but I'm a DIY novice

Nowt much to it. Your biggest problem will be lifting the sheets up to the ceiling, but you can hire a device for that. Then just screw them in place.

Before that, you would need to add insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back