Accurate measuring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Put up some vertical blinds (65mm out from pvc). Is it best to put 5cm on end of pvc then measure to 11.5 or measure from metal tape end. I ended up using imperial (2.5inches) in the end because it was easier from that side of tape at the awkward angle.

Is there a quick technique to find the centre e.g. of a drawer for its handle. I find measuring then halfing can lead to mistakes when tired
20211228_172617.jpg
20211228_171937.jpg
20211228_171758.jpg

Sponsored Links
Put up some vertical blinds (65mm out from pvc). Is it best to put 5cm on end of pvc then measure to 11.5 or measure from metal tape end. I ended up using imperial (2.5inches) in the end because it was easier from that side of tape at the awkward angle.

Is there a quick technique to find the centre e.g. of a drawer for its handle. I find measuring then halfing can lead to mistakes when tired
When measuring and marking a flat surface you would get on better with a steel ruler like this:https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-ruler-12-300mm/5850v Various lengths are available. You can measure and mark from the end of the ruler whilst holding it flat against the surface that you are marking.

Measuring and halving to find the centre is not difficult, you have a calculator on your phone. When you have marked it, check that the measurement from both sides of the drawer is the same to confirm that you have not made a mistake.

If you draw diagonal lines from each corner of a rectangle the point where they cross is the centre. You don't have to draw the entire length of the line, just the bits where you guess the centre will be.
centroid-of-rectanglular-section-300x182.png

Use a solid ruler sometimes helps as the tapes bend and flex.
Mark one way then other and you have 2 marks. The centre of the two marks is where you need to drill as centre.
Also another trick.

The way I do it, is to measure and pencil mark to somewhere near the middle - same measurement from each side, then accurately mark the centre between those two marks. It doesn't matter if the marks overlap or underlap. That way involves no calculation at all, just accurate measurement and marking.

Sponsored Links
The measuring for the blinds bit - in awkward situations like that I may cut a bit of wood or cardboard to the 65mm then use that as a template to mark from - but I would also put more care into keeping the distance from the inside of the wall to the holes the same, as this is the side that any inaccuracies or squintness wil be seen from.

centering a draw - I would use my sliding set square, guess the middle, then make a mark from the other side, then visually split the two marks with a bradawl before drilling. The diagonal ruler is also a good way of avoiding mistakes (half of 360 is easier than half of 353)

5 + 11.5 is 16.5 not 65 unless I have misunderstood your calculations. Double sided metric tapes are available.

Blup

Last edited:
Might have been a bit out with measuring but got it up. The window reveal at the top is 10mm different at the ends
20211230_103122.jpg

Regarding the cords, the roller blind one hangs really low and I've wrapped the Venetian cords around a wall tie two thirds down
20211230_154657.jpg
20211230_154811.jpg

Have you fitted the blind safety devices which are designed to prevent children from hanging themselves on the blind cords/chains. If you installed the blinds you are legally responsible for the safe installation of them. Normally blinds are supplied with a tensioner or cleat to fit to the wall for child safety purposes. See here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/check-your-blind-cords-and-keep-your-home-safe

"Fit a tidy, tensioner or a cleat: tidies and tensioners should be firmly fixed to an adjoining surface so that the cord or chain are permanently held tight.

Cleats should be positioned out of children’s reach on an adjacent surface, at least 1.5 metres from the floor."

Chains and cords can be shortened. It is really important that you get this right. Children have died from getting caught in these cords/chains.

20211230_190519.jpg
Does this look safe enough? Dunno why roller blind cord hangs so low though. My kid's seven now so past hanging himself I hope

20211230_185419.jpg
20211230_185334.jpg

Attachments

• 16408902833944018066892801545109.jpg
    16408902833944018066892801545109.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 16408903435084147078945075314720.jpg
    16408903435084147078945075314720.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Those loops you have circled are to allow you to shorten the pull cord/chain. If you set them correctly the chain should not hang lower than the blind when it is in the closed position.
Regardless of how old a child is you have a legal duty as the blind fitter to use any safety features that are supplied with the blind. If a cord restrainer was not supplied you should source and fit an appropriate one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back