2-way switch replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for some help if anyone can advise.

I have a switch downstairs that controls a porch light and a 2 gang switch upstairs (1 for the porch light and the other for hallway lights).

I'd like to change the upstairs switch for a smart switch but am unsure of the correct wiring. I am not fussed about losing the downstairs switch - although I'd like to keep the wires in place for any future owners.

Could someone advise the correct wiring for the potential new upstairs switch and if it possible to maybe connect the wires downstairs together and put a blank plate on?

I was looking at the Aqara H1 as the new switch, but I am unsure if/how the wires would need to be connected. As I say, I am not worried about losing the downstairs switch functionality.

Downstairs (potentially obsolete) switch:
PXL_20240505_141854487~3.jpg

Existing upstairs switch:
PXL_20240505_141330634~2.jpg

Potential new upstairs switch:
wall_back.jpg

Sponsored Links
Some testing is required, the new switch uses one supply to both outputs, we have no way to know if the old switch uses a common feed or not, so switch on each light and find out which fuse/MCB/RCBO in the main consumer unit (CU) supplies each light, if the same fuse/MCB/RCBO feed both then possible, if not, then can't do it with that switch.

It does seem the connections are either in a junction box or ceiling rose, seems likely wired like this Alt-two-way-wiring.jpg for the two way switching, I would look at ceiling rose to see how wired.

If there is room, a smart relay like this DSC_6061.jpg at the light maybe a better option, or smart bulbs. As already asked what test equipment do you have.

My porch light has a PIR so needs a switch not requiring current to run through the bulb, as bulb not always connected, so needs the TP-Link (Tapo) switch which is battery powered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back