Trolley Jack Issue

Sponsored Links
Just taken another look at the jack and have taken the release valve out. Cleaned the insides all looked OK. Put back together and now as soon as you start to undo the jack handle to lower jack the jack drops right away at this new point. Took it apart again and noticed where the ball bearing sits it looks like it has been over tightened in the past and i was wondering if this may be why it drops like it does. Any thoughts on this and how I cut a new seat for the ball bearing. Ball bearing is 6mm by the way.

Attachments

• 20240523_135218.jpg
    20240523_135218.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 11
Why not just buy a trolley jack with a guarantee. Whilst it should be OK if you use axle stands once a jack becomes unreliable in any way it's time to get rid.

It's a big heavy dangerous object on the end of it

I hear you, I just like to be able to repair stuff and also work out what's wrong. Not worth the risk to myself or the car. How much do you think I will get for the scrap metal value lol.

Sponsored Links
Next to nothing unfortunately. But take it to a scrap dealer for a price.

If you sell it not for scrap please make sure any buyer knows of the fault

My halfords jack has a release bolt that if turned very slightly will lower the jack slowly and when turned more will increase speed of lowering.
All the DIY jacks I've used are pretty much like this.
Are you sure yours is faulty rather than being like that from the start?

All the trolley jacks that I have had, including my current one, drop far to fast if you open the relase valve too far. I just open mine a very small amount and that drops the vehicle at a comfortable rate. I must add that all my trolley jacks, and I have had a few in my time, have been cheapies from Halfords and the like. I suspect that one is a cheapy as well.

I think using the handle on this jack to release it gives no control, I found turning the release valve directly I can safely lower my car.

Does anyone have any ideas on why the jack is behaving in this way? What do I need to do to repair it.

I think you said a ball bearing is used, in the valve. Might it be worth experimenting with replacing the bearing, with a slightly larger one? It would reduce the space for the oil to flow through, and hopefully slow it down a bit.

I have a professional large garage jack, it uses a turn of the handle, to open/close the valve. I do find that if I am too enthusiastic tightening the valve, the effort needed turning it to release it, can cause it to go down a little too fast. The secret is to just close it enough to hold the pressure.

Last edited:
I did think of swapping the bearing for a larger one but didn't in the end as I thought it was designed to work with a 6mm one so best leave it in there.

Sponsored Links
Back