Socket Wiring Advice

Not sure I follow. I would need the white JB to manage the lightswitch, so that would need to stay.

The black JB has one incoming and the other one is serving a double socket. I would continue to have a socket there in the lower part of the shelf. Are suggesting just to twin the two 2.5mm together going into the FCU (so the socket can still get the un-downrated current) and on the other side 1.5mm up to the white one feeding the lights?

Sponsored Links
2 alternative thoughts
1714919452143.png

Thanks both, that has given me enough options to do this correctly.

(Maybe) last question on this... regarding the socket that is running off this, I plan to just run a fresh wire from the FCU down to the lower shelf where I plan to install the socket (Blue). There is obviously an existing cable going down into the floor come comes up inside the skirting board (Red). What would be good practice to handle this unused cable. I cannot remove it, but it will be completely disconnected from anything.
IMG_8805.jpeg

As you can see on the second photo, there is limited space (only terminal blocks I reckon, as I still need to put a piece of plywood to close the skirting). But if this is fully disconnected from anything, can I just cover the ends with insulation tape and a little note or so to indicate it is not connected to anything?
IMG_8701.jpeg

Opted for the twist/insulate/label method… done the same on the other side and it just pushed inside the wall out of the way
IMG_8835.jpeg

Sponsored Links
In the circumstances I think I'd joine the wires in the 'abandoned cable' together and label in some way that won't fade, such as sharpie pen on the grey sheath or a paper tag.

What are the chances of diverting the existing loft cable to the socket in adjacent room?
What are the chances of running a cable from the new FCU to the exixting loft sockets?
This looks like a good solution with minimal JB's and no spurs:
1714931516898.png
1714931563714.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back