Replacement rodding eye covers/point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got these two broken rodding eye points in our garden that I ought to get fixed. I was hoping to just buy new covers for both but it doesn't appear that you can just buy the covers and end up with the whole assembly...

20240501_120334.jpg

I broke the middle of this one above taking down a brick wall. I need a replacement cover for this one (even if I have to buy the whole unit and just use the cover) but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells this larger shaped oval one online - only the smaller ones like in my below image of the other broken one? I'm not sure why this differs from the one below in terms of shape, or if the solution for both is what I've suggested below...

20240501_120358.jpg
20240501_120452.jpg

This one is down the opposite end of the garden and it appears the screw holes and seal have completely disintegrated over the years so a new cover isn't going to be of much help without anything to attach to. I can see the metal rodding eye body pushes into the plastic pipework below, I've not tried yet but is it as simple as carefully pulling/twisting this metal section off and pushing in a new body and cover - after measuring the pipe is actually 110mm?

For the second one I was hoping just something like this, presumably better sticking to metal than a £10 plastic one from Amazon? toolstation metal rodding point

Sponsored Links
Both look to be attached to the ends of 110mm plastic pipework. Yes, should be able to remove both from their respective sockets with some twisting and a bit of brute force, but whether the seals will be any good afterwards is another matter! May be wise to expose a little more of the pipework, and see if their is a coupling below, if so remove the coupling and the old rodding eye, replace with new coupling and rodding eyes.

A little silicon lubricant is all that is needed on the new seals to help make the joints.

Great thanks Hugh, I'll try and expose a bit more if it ever stops raining here. Will pop out with a tape measure to confirm the size before buying too.

I'll shove some washing up liquid around it before pulling and see how the current seal copes, I did shine a light down the pipe and couldn't immediately see any joins so it might be quite far down, too far to dig back to. I guess I could always cut the end off and pop a new push fit (both ends) coupler on? With enough cut back that the rodding eye is level to ground that is.

Sponsored Links
Washing up liquid will release the seal but will also damage it. Use silicone grease or pipe lubricant. Wiggle it around slightly while rotating, it should come free.

You will need to take care that you don't pull out the section of pipe that it's connected to somewhere deeper underground - both ends are held only by friction so it's a flip of the coin which will detach if you just pull on it. You should dig back down the pipe and grip it somehow - easiest if someone else helps and/or use a gripping tool to hold it.

Different rodding points may require different pipe heights, so it may need cutting back lower or extending higher. Use lube when fitting it.

I'd suggest replacing the coupler at the same time, then you get new rubber seals, for a few quid extra. Unless it's a socketed pipe in which case it's not worth the hassle provided the seal is clean and fully intact. If not then cut it off and replace with a coupler. Ensure any cut ends are bevelled and smooth inside and out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back