Lintel Replacement - last question from the survey I promise!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, it's me again with the saga of the structural survey. Spoken to the engineer and a local builder who comes highly recommended and both have mentioned this lintel as a possible issue. The engineer thought it wasn't urgent but the builder was much more concerned, despite the fact he basically thought everything else was a non issue. So looking to see what you think and how much urgency there is to replace this? If you think there is urgency how much would it likely cost?

The report said the following but as I say this old school fairly blase builder was more concerned:

The precast concrete lintel over the kitchen window is fairly slender, and for the span we would have expected a two-course high type, 140mm rather than 65mm. The fact that the slope down in the lintel towards the rear reflects the pattern of historic movement indicates that widening of the window was carried out many years ago. It is also possible that these alterations have exacerbated the movement associated with an increase in foundation bearing pressure arising from the widened window. Whilst there is no evidence to indicate that replacement of the lintel might be required in the short-term, if any cracking does appear in the brickwork above we would then advise replacement in a more substantial form.

1714596887678.png

Sponsored Links
That lintel is perfectly fine for that span and that use.

Thanks Woody, why is there so many alarmists out there especially when the builder in question was so casual about everything else! I don't get it.

Sponsored Links
Lots of practices are very concerned about claims, so are hesitant to give any opinion or make any statement with any degree of risk attached ..... even when any such comment is within their supposed expertise.

Or, and perhaps equally as likely, the person just does not have a clue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back