Joists, notches and heavy weight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Currently having a loft conversion to dwelling done. I got rid of the ‘builders’ that had been carrying this out. They installed the plumbing for the kitchen and cut out notches from the joists, through the crawl space - so it leads to the waste pipe for downstairs. Then as instructed, they laid sound insulation between the joists, put floorboards down and then acoustic chipboard insulation boards on after that.

I will eventually have an 150ltr unvented cylinder in this area. Once this is full, it will weigh 180KG and is directly above the kitchen downstairs.

I overthink too much and constantly questioned if the notches were done to regulations, which I had been assured they where. Knowing that any compromise to the integrity of the floor could be potentially fatal, I decided to take up the acoustic floor boards and further floor below that, for my own peace of mind.

The notches are 50mm / 2 inches - which isn’t in line with regs. The joists are 6.5 inches, with a further 2 inch joists below the to further support it. When I step on them, there is no creaking and seem solid.

I am waiting to hear back from a structural engineer.

My question is: can I use herringbone/joist straps underneath the notches, install noggins where the cylinder will sit and sister board within the space of the noggins - or is this completely over board and I am over thinking this?

I have attached a picture - the cylinder will go in the centre, near the back wall.

Attachments

• ae95ac08-ba10-4568-98fd-f076784d2b1d.jpeg
    ae95ac08-ba10-4568-98fd-f076784d2b1d.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The notches look outside the zone where they are allowed - have a quick Google and check yourself -we don't know the span.

I don't think the potential defect will be "fatal' but certainly needs attention.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back