Is this much wobble normal for a new SDS hammer drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought this Bosch 2-28-F today. It's the first SDS plus drill i bought, so i'm not experienced with it.
But the drill seems to wobble quite a bit. More on the 10mm drills, and less on the 6mm drills, but still, is this normal or did i receive a faulty product?
I can return it within 30 days and i haven't tried drilling any holes with it, because i don't want to use it or damage it.
But if it's no good, then i rather return it, then being stuck with a faulty unit that creates bigger holes than i need it to.

Here is a short video, i hope you can let me know if it's normal or not. It was $250 and i'm on a budget, so i rather not waste this money.

Sponsored Links
Faulty.
I have seen a few like that though and they can be used.
Think I'd swap in the hope it's better

SDS do have play in the chuck, besides which, it's quite a long drill bit, they are never perfectly true. Looks fine to me, it will self centre once it begins to drill.

Don't confuse wobble of the plastic chuck release shroud, with misalignment of the chuck inside.

Sponsored Links
Someone else told me, it might be the drill bit that's causing this. But they're brand new bosch drill bits. So i don't know what is to blame.

Should i rent the same drill at my local hardware store, and see if it does the same type of wobbling? It's $20 wasted, but rather that than keeping a faulty machine. Of course i can return it, but if it's not faulty, then i would like to keep it.

I guess my main concern is that the end of the drill bit makes a circular motion (not spinning), and it might create a bigger hole than intended.

Someone else told me, it might be the drill bit that's causing this. But they're brand new bosch drill bits. So i don't know what is to blame.

Should i rent the same drill at my local hardware store, and see if it does the same type of wobbling? It's $20 wasted, but rather that than keeping a faulty machine. Of course i can return it, but if it's not faulty, then i would like to keep it.

Your choice, of course, but any replacements will wobble as much, or perhaps even more. As I already pointed out, there is deliberate play in the SDS chuck - SDS will not work without that chuck play.

I guess my main concern is that the end of the drill bit makes a circular motion (not spinning), and it might create a bigger hole than intended.

The drill bit, self centres as the hole progresses.

Happened to use mine this morning, there is play in the chuck of course but the bit spins true, I'd return it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back