How to prevent mould/fungal infestation on bigdug shelving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently erected bigdug shelving in my basement to help with organising tools and things. I've noticed that the wooden shelf-boards that come packaged with bigdugs attract to dust-like micro-fungus. I've taken to wrapping the shelves in clingfilm and sellotape to prevent the fungus from taking purchase on them, but I wonder if there's an easier way to resolve this. I vacuum the unwrapped shelves once a week and a week later fresh micro-fungus is growing on them. What treatment products would you recommend to both preserve the shelf-boards and repel fungus, wood-lice, etc.?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean mould? Bleach will clean and ventilation prevents its return .Woodlice live on rotting timber and are harmless, if you have them you need too remove any rotting timber.

If I bleach them, yes - it will kill the mould - but it will return within a week or two. I'm looking to see which products are recommended to permanently protect the wooden MDF boards.

If I bleach them, yes - it will kill the mould - but it will return within a week or two. I'm looking to see which products are recommended to permanently protect the wooden MDF boards.
Only returns if you don’t have adequate ventilation , mould is airborn.

Sponsored Links
Many suggest bleach, but bleach does not kill mould, it only hides it. White vinegar and baking soda is recommended to kill it, then bleach to clean it.
Both kill mould .

Bleach, a potent biocide that can be used to kill mould. The active ingredient in bleach, sodium hypochlorite, reacts with water to form hypochlorous acid, which kills mould by denaturing proteins, inactivating enzymes, disrupting nucleic acids, and destroying other cellular components.

Both kill mould .

Bleach, a potent biocide that can be used to kill mould. The active ingredient in bleach, sodium hypochlorite, reacts with water to form hypochlorous acid, which kills mould by denaturing proteins, inactivating enzymes, disrupting nucleic acids, and destroying other cellular components.

From you link.

'We instruct our cleaners to soak the molded areas with bleach, and per the instructions, let it sit for at least 15 minutes before coming back and wiping or scrubbing it away,' he says.
The article fails to understand why the mould returns ( lack of ventilation) so blames the bleach.

I wouldn’t take any Daily Mail article as scientific advice.

“The Daily Mail has been criticised for its unreliability, its printing of sensationalist and inaccurate scare stories about science and medical research, and for instances of plagiarism and copyright infringement. In February 2017, the English Wikipedia banned the use of the Daily Mail as a reliable source.“

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back