how thin cavity wall mainland UK

wub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, as part of a renovation project, i am infilling a approx 1.7 space between boundary wall and extension to use as a utility room. Given the narrowness of the space, every inch counts and i am wondering how thin i can go on the block work and cavity wall insulation, with high performance insulation to meet Uk mainland building regs? The building contractors are telling me with new regs the wall width is 375 mm (100mm block, 150 mm cavity, 100mm inner block) and then the inner finish render and skim. Given area will have hanging wall units etc i am going for high dense outer block, low dense inner blocks for good fixing strength.

Googling it seems i may still be able to get away with 100mm cavity if i use high performance insulation, but i cant find the definitive answer anywhere. And advice?

Sponsored Links
Sorry inner skin is medium dense blocks.

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't build a cavity wall unless a cavity wall is required.

Solid wall and suitable insulation with supports for the units, or an internal timber frame with enhanced internal sheathing for the units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back