Fence gravel boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I shall be constructing a 1.2 metre high feather board fence soon.
Do the feather boards sit on the gravel board with the gravel board taking their weight or do the nails bear all the weight with the gravel board merely making it look neat ?
The reason I ask is because when I walk around looking at fencing in my neighbourhood quite often I see the feather boards slightly clear of the gravel board and sometimes not even underneath anymore.
As this is a first attempt, any tips would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am doing something unusual. My neighbour has the “good side” of an existing driveway fence using old concrete posts. I cannot get at his side of the fence as there is a hedge. My plan is to completely construct a new fence on the existing posts but line them with wood. My fence and the old fence will be back to back and I am confident it will look fine. Famous last words :)

Attachments

• fence.jpg
    fence.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 17
Hi Wayners, thanks for the reply. Once I'd googled H posts I realized how they would be a great solution. However, as I'd said, I'm stuck with some old concrete posts that will also have the problem of not having a whole number of equally spaced feather boards :(

Sponsored Links
You should have a word with the neighbour to arrange cutting back his hedge away from your fence. Conifers are fence killers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back