Engineered wood flooring top layer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have bought and installed 18mm, tongue and groove, varnished engineered wood flooring. It has a very good fit with no gaps in between boards (if it is done well, which I mostly did).

While installing it, and with my glasses on, I noticed that the wear layer, the 5mm oak at the top, is not cut square but at an angle. When you put two pieces together they fit perfectly as seen from the top, but looking at the side you can see what I feared, there is an increasing gap as you go down into the board.

If after a while you decided to sand and re-varnish the floor, say you took 1mm off, you might then expose that gap and you'd end up with gaps everywhere. Maybe some wood dust would find its way into the gaps and close them prior to varnishing.

I am attaching photos to show what I think might be a problem for the future. Please let me know your thoughts.
IMG_20240503_145452.jpg
IMG_20240503_145433.jpg

Sponsored Links
i would not worry iff you remove say 1mm because the /\ is so shallow the gap will be perhaps 1/6th off a millimetre so surface finnish will fill it

Interesting observation, I have similar engineered oak with atop layer that can be re sanded but never looked that close at the join, but what I would say is my floor has been down about 10 years and I can not think of a circumstance where I would need to re sand it. It has a coating of hard wax oil and any spillages get wiped up with no problems even red wine. I have a small area from a dripping rad valve that has made a dark spot but that just will need local spot sanding. I can not see a scenario whereby I would ned to hire a floor sander and go feral on it. Which is the only way you would have issues with the V

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back