Dipping toe into painting

1500 grit was slow going (not like I was going out or anything), but the risk was low. Finished now. A small piece of sandpaper in exchange for a pro finish. It's wrong colour though, too light. May be a blindfolded blind man won't notice. The insurer could well invalidate me for doing custom painting.

wet-sand.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What a major bit of luck. While holding the panel against the car myself and looking, some parts of the panel didn't look like it was matching the car colour. When I got someone else to hold the panel and I stood back to look from multiple positions, it was a perfect match. I only needed one panel to work to recover my costs. I will be quids in if I do more than one.

The longest panel I have is the panel I just painted, at 2m. This greenhouse paint booth will work for me. The price includes VAT, excludes delivery. I don't actually need a 100% clean environment. I just need to stop the debris carried by the wind.

paint-booth.png

Last edited:
The panel is back on the car. The colour match is pro rated without me trying to. But the image tells a lie. If I put one side of my face on the ground and look up, I could tell the panel is lighter. Also the car has a yellow tone to it because of aged clear coat. So, there is still room for me to play with the primer to reduced the lightness of the new paint. It isn't completely necessary, though, because it is passable as is. If I am going to do another panel, I might as well getting it right.

panel.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Black primer ordered. Here's another video of playing with colours. The substrate colour definitely has an impact on the final result.

Back