Assembling parallel brass threads (installing a PRV pressure gauge).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not a professional plumber or installer but have done a bit over the years ... in the past, in order to assemble parallel brass threads I would (rightly or wrongly) have either used PTFE or hemp and paste to seal the two components fittings and tightened the fitting to the correct orientation if required .... but I bought a Reliance 312 22mm 'drop tight' pressure reducing gauge and it came with a (separate, unattached) pressure gauge (with a rear mounted brass thread) and there was no fibre washer or rubber O ring with it (and in any case when you screw the gauge on to the fitting the gap remaining between the two mating surfaces is way too much to accommodate a washer or O ring ... it's about 3mm).

Strangely they do give you a plastic blanking off plug (two in fact) to block the unused port/s and that does have a correctly fitting O ring therefore the problem doesn't arise, you just screw it on and tighten.

Is Loctite 55 the modern way? Or am I just overthinking and should simply use one of the methods I've used in the past as detailed above?

Ta.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back